Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Christmas: Hope

Last year the Christmas season came early for me. Working in Branson, the Christmas season began on November 1st. It was still warm out and yet everything was decorated with lights, festive music was always playing and everything was either green or red. By the time Christmas day actually came around I was thought I would be relieved for it all to be over, but instead I was a little sad to see it go.
This year is much different for me than last year. I live in a new city, away from my family. I’m not singing about a silent night four times a day every day, and I don’t see too many Christmas lights anywhere. However one thing has not changed... I’m still in a Christmas mood. I thought that would change too, but it hasn’t, if anything the season began even earlier than last year. To be honest, Christmas is all I got right now, and I don’t think I’m the only one.
When I was a kid, the idea of Christmas was acquiring more things, my festive spirit was inspired only when I saw new toys and dreamed of getting more than my little brother. After I matured a little it was more about the idea of getting something for my family that they truly appreciated. But now that has changed too. I don’t have any money and my family isn’t big into buying tons of crap like they used to be. So why am I still excited for Christmas?
I can’t help but notice that radio stations are already playing Christmas music, that Santa is already on T.V. commercials and people have already started to count down to the day. This makes absolutely no sense. I heard a statistic that 1 out of 6 people are unemployed right now. People who have great jobs are picking up a second or even third part time job to make ends meet. The last thing they need to do is spend money they don’t have on things they don’t need. Really, for most of us, the last thing we should be looking forward to is Christmas.
December 25 has been criticized by many, it has gotten to the point where Christmas is almost synonymous with the word debt. Money and Christmas have gone hand in hand for so long. But this year seems different to me, this year, people are not planning on buying extravagant gifts like they have in the past. They are looking forward to something else entirely. They are looking forward to each other. They are looking forward to the simple fact that there is a specific day laid out on our calendar to spend with the people we love most. For the majority of people, they are not looking forward to buying/receiving, rather they are looking forward to an escape. An escape from the terrible times we are going through. They are looking for HOPE.
Isn’t it ironic? Growing up in church I’ve heard time and time again about the true meaning of Christmas. They preached this when money was good and things weren’t so depressing. Now when money isn’t as available and times are a lot more depressing the true meaning of Christmas is lived out by mere necessity. The true meaning of Christmas has always been about Christ and the hope He gives us, but it was overlooked by our materialism. Now that materialism is not an option, Christmas has become to be a symbol of hope once again.
This is a great opportunity for our churches. The thought that material possessions will not be the highlight of Christmas and yet we are still looking forward to the day is incredible. If anything, we are looking forward to Christmas more than we ever have!
The meaning of Christmas has become hope once again and the Church wasn’t even responsible for it. The economy was. As a Church, let us show what hope means to us and who we get our hope from.
It inspires me knowing that everyone is looking forward to and hoping for the day Christ comes to earth... and they don’t even realize it.

2 comments:

matt gallion said...

I love this post.

Unknown said...

Very profound insight Jimmy. I wish all young people saw things the way you do. You continue to amaze me with your insight.